Joel and Mackynze from 5amJoel were in Montana for a month, so we hung out a few times! I’m a huge fan of mini-retirements and Joel is taking an amazing one. We chatted about finding work after a mini-retirement. What happens if your boss finds out your financially independent? Why Joel gets up at 5 am every day? And they brought some sweet dance moves!
- 0:01 My guests are laughing at me because I messed up the into more than once!
- 0:25 “Are we sitting under the death tree?” -Joel
- 0:57 Is there a risk in announcing you’re financially independent on the internets where future employers might see it?
- 2:40 Power of a strong network after a mini-retirement.
- 3:20 Does being FI make you a slacker in future employment?
- 4:26 Maybe the best part….Mackynze pulls the wife card and is like, “Nope!”
- 5:40 Joel admits his wife is right….and how we work after FI.
- 6:30 Why the last two weeks of work almost make you not want to leave.
- 6:57 How power dynamics at work shift when your FI.
- 8:22 I literally can’t help myself from making a Jeff Dunham reference.
- 8:30 From mocking to waking up at 5 am.
- 9:14 “Extremely rewarding and extremely difficult are a great combination.” -Joel
- 11:05 (Off camera) “We are going to do dance walking, aren’t we?!?” -Joel. “Absolutely we are.”- Jillian (Also can’t help making The Office references. I won’t even admit how many times I’ve watched every episode.)
- 11:37 Oh geesh….my intro’s need work!
- 12:00 I literally have no explanation for you. This is all my husband’s doing.
But my favorite part of the interview (also not caught on tape) was just before we started dancing and Mackynze looks at me surprised and says:
“Wait, you’re technically working right now, aren’t you?!? Like this is part of your job!”
“Yeah, I guess I am. Kind of crazy, right?”
Hanging out with friends, eating ice cream, and dancing. I grew up thinking that if you weren’t miserable, you weren’t really working. Sometimes it hard even for me to wrap my mind around this passion income thing!
Joel has been waking up at 5 am for over 500 days. His new morning routine helps him live a more productive, happier, and healthier life! Joel shares stories on his blog, 5amjoel.com. He writes about how to make better use of your time, and better use of your money. Rise early. Retire early!